Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Nuggets 2

Time for another round of nuggets! Let's go.

Recently, I've been reflecting on my baseball fandom, and have decided to adopt an American League team. Don't worry, I'm still a Cubs fan. I'm just going to try to follow all of baseball instead of just the league where pitchers have to hit. Which frankly, isn't pretty sometimes (oh where did you go, Carlos Zambrano?). And after some deliberation, I have decided that the team for me is the Toronto Blue Jays. There were a couple mitigating factors for this decision: 1)Don't pick a team that someone you know well/are related to roots for. 2)Don't pick the Yankees or Red Sox. 3)Don't pick a team in the playoffs. Throw in the fun fact of the Blue Jays being the least American of the American League, and their nifty color scheme (I'm a sucker for the color blue), and the choice was fairly clear. Now I just need to learn about the team...


Due to my upbringing, I have a certain propensity to make up song parody lyrics for all sorts of occasions. When your mom is a bigger Weird Al Yankovic fan than you are, and you spend most of your formative years being driven to marching band practice in a Mini-van listening to a Star Wars parody of "American Pie", you tend to develop a certain knack for it. And any good parody writer (or any song-writer in general) will tell you that you should sing about things you know. So I tend to sing about Rosco. And more often than not, the song I start singing uses the timeless melody of The Association's "Windy". Mostly because it ends with "Everyone knows it's ROSCO! (bum. bum. bum. bum. bum.) -And Rosco has STOR-MEE EYES..." and so on. I have no shame about it. Song currently in second place for Rosco parodies? Probably "Fancy" by Iggy Azalea (sorry, I'm not supplying a link to that one. Go find it yourself). Because it's funny. Rosco's as fancy as a paper plate.


So I told you about my new D&D hobby, but I failed to mention that I also started playing (with the same folks) a Role-Playing Star Wars game. So naturally, I made my character in that R2-D2. Or a close relative I suppose. Melissa made her character a C-3P0 type droid, so she effectively translates for me. But I do whistle quite a lot. Just last week the two of us co-piloted a Chicken Walker (AT-ST for those in the know) and helped storm a shipyard. Good times.


So I've been listening to sports radio a lot lately, since my commute is a good 40-50 minutes or so. It definitely has its ups and downs. For instance, just this morning I was listening to Mike and Mike on ESPN. It sounded like they were about to talk about baseball playoffs, especially with how the Royals are in the playoffs for the first time in 30-some years. But no. The Patriots losing in week 4 is a much bigger deal. Because everyone cares about the Patriots (sometimes the East Coast bias is eye-rollingly blatant). So I switched to the other talk radio station I know of (87.7 The Game), and what do I hear? A long conversation about the veracity of the claim that flight attendants get back at unruly passengers by "crop-dusting", aka "passing gas as they walk by". And this radio station had a deep well of sound effects buttons to press, to drive the point home. So those were my choices this morning: Patriots or fart noises. And I chose farts. No regrets!!


As always, mind your r's and c's,

Eric

1 comment:

  1. I love how off-hand your description of yours and Melissa's RPG escapades is. That's super cool.

    ReplyDelete